Sunday, January 19, 2014

1904 Savoye Corset - my next project


I have membership to an excellent site called Foundations Revealed. Today this fabulous 1904 Savoye corset popped up. I'd ordered corsetry materials - spiral metal boning and busk for an 1880s corset I'd planned to make, however I've now decided to have a crack at this one only I'll do it in midnight blue dupion with black chantilly lace (or something equally gorgeous).

Once I begin I'll post step-by-steps as I work out the pattern pieces and do a toile.

I had great fun making these 1780s stays, below, for my Georgian costume (full construction details are on historical honeyhttp://www.historicalhoney.com/dresslikeageorgian/). The picture's not great since it's not laced up with the right pressure. My usual 'lady's maid' - i.e., my husband - wasn't on hand for a costume event I was attending, and my 12 year old had trouble helping me. But it's surprisingly comfortable. More like a back brace or support than anything, as it's not designed to cinch in the waist.






No comments:

Post a Comment